Hands down my favorite Oscar winner this year was Kunio Kato’s sublime animated short La maison en petits cubes. So it is with interest I turn to yesterday’s announcement of the short-listed animated shorts for next year.
The only two names to jump out are Peter Sohn’s Partly Cloudy which played before Pixar’s Up and Nick (Wallace and Gromit) Park’s A Matter of Loaf and Death.
You can see trailers for a number of the following pics around the web and you can stream The Cat Piano above.
Here are the short-listed potential nominees:
- The Cat Piano – Eddie White and Ari Gibson, directors (The People’s Republic of Animation)
- French Roast – Fabrice O. Joubert, director (Pumpkin Factory/Bibo Films)
- Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty – Nicky Phelan, director, and Darragh O’Connell, producer (Brown Bag Films)
- The Kinematograph – Tomek Baginski, director-producer (Platige Image)
- The Lady and the Reaper (La Dama y la Muerte) – Javier Recio Gracia, director (Kandor Graphics and Green Moon)
- Logorama – Nicolas Schmerkin, producer (Autour de Minuit)
- A Matter of Loaf and Death – Nick Park, director (Aardman Animations Ltd.)
- Partly Cloudy – Sohn, director (Pixar Animation Studios)
- Runaway – Cordell Barker, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- Variete – Roelof van den Bergh, director (il Luster Productions)