With these nominations for The Independent Filmmaker Project’s 20th Anniversary Gotham Independent Film Awards, awards season has officially begun whether you like it or not.
The only surprise for me is the inclusion of Matt Reeves’ Let Me In. I liked it, but there were a bunch of other films I’d much rather have seen get recognized like Greenberg, Get Low, Jack Goes Boating, Cyrus and most especially Prince of Broadway. I’m glad to at least see Prince Adu, Greta Gerwig and John Ortiz take breakthrough acting noms for three of the above however.
Also glad to see The Oath get recognized in the documentary category plus the ensemble nods for Winter’s Bone, The Kids Are All Right and Life During Wartime. As much as I disliked Please Give, the performances were all terrific and it’s richly deserving of it’s own ensemble nomination.
Of the films not playing in a theater near you, The Wolf Knife is the only one I’ve seen and it was an interesting first effort. I didn’t warm up to it right away, but found myself thinking about quite a bit afterward.
The winners will be announced on November 29th.
Check out a complete list of nominees after the jump.
- Black Swan, Darren Aronofsky
- Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance
- The Kids Are All Right, Lisa Cholodenko
- Let Me In, Matt Reeves
- Winter’s Bone, Debra Granik
- 12th & Deleware, Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady
- Inside Job, Charles Ferguson
- The Oath, Laura Poitras
- Public Speaking, Martin Scorsese
- Sweetgrass, Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Ilsa Barbash
Best Ensemble Performance:
- The Kids Are All Right. Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson
- Life During Wartime. Shirley Henderson, Ciarán Hinds, Allison Janney, Michael Lerner, Chris Marquette, Rich Pecci, Charlotte Rampling, Paul Reubens, Ally Sheedy, Dylan Riley Snyder, Renée Taylor, Michael Kenneth Williams
- Please Give. Catherine Keener, Amanda Peet, Oliver Platt, Rebecca Hall, Ann Guilbert, Lois Smith, Sarah Steele, Thomas Ian Nicholas (Sony Pictures Classics)
- Tiny Furniture. Lena Dunham, Laurie Simmons, Grace Dunham, Rachel Howe, Merritt Wever, Amy Seimetz, Alex Karpovsky, David Call, Jemima Kirke, Sarah Sophie Flicker, Garland Hunter, Isen Hunter
- Winter’s Bone. Jennifer Lawrence, John Hawkes, Dale Dickey, Lauren Sweetser, Garret Dillahunt, Kevin Breznahan
- John Wells for The Company Men
- Kevin Asch for Holy Rollers
- Glenn Ficarra and John Requa for I Love You Phillip Morris
- Tanya Hamilton for Night Catches Us
- Lena Dunham for Tiny Furniture
- Prince Adu in Prince of Broadway
- Ronald Bronstein in Daddy Longlegs
- Greta Gerwig in Greenberg
- Jennifer Lawrence in Winter’s Bone
- John Ortiz in Jack Goes Boating
Best Film Not Playing in a Theater Near You:
- Kati with an i, Robert Greene
- Littlerock, Mike Ott
- On Coal River, Francine Cavanaugh
- Summer Pasture, Lynn True and Nelson Walker
- The Wolf Knife, Laurel Nakadate