The executive branch the Academy visual effects branch has pared the visual effects Oscar down to fifteen competitors. They’ll take another whack at in in January to get it down to 7 and then the full committee will vote for the finalists based on viewing 15 minute excerpts of each film.
Sight unseen, I’m going to put my money on Tron: Legacy for the win. I’m also glad to see Scott Pilgrim get recognized even if it doesn’t make it as a final nominee. I don’t know if the effects were groundbreaking, but they were very imaginatively used.
- Alice in Wonderland
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- Clash of the Titans
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Iron Man 2
- The Last Airbender
- Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
- Scott Pilgrim vs the World
- Shutter Island
- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
- Tron: Legacy