AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (ACE) ANNOUNCES NOMINEES FOR THE
63RD ANNUAL ACE EDDIE AWARDS RECOGNIZING THE BEST EDITING OF THE YEAR IN FILM, TELEVISION AND DOCUMENTARIES
Universal City, CA, Jan. 11 –American Cinema Editors (ACE) today announced nominations for the 63rd Annual ACE Eddie Awards recognizing outstanding editing in nine categories of film, television and documentaries. Winners will be revealed during ACE’s annual black-tie awards ceremony on Saturday, February 16, 2013 in the International Ballroom of the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Actor / Comedian David Cross (“Arrested Development”) will serve as the Master of Ceremonies that evening. Next week ACE will announce the Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year honoree and two Career Achievement honorees.
The ACE Eddie Award nominees in nine categories are listed below. A tie in the Best Animated Feature Film category resulted in four nominees this year instead of three.
NOMINEES FOR 63rd ANNUAL ACE EDDIE AWARDS
BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):
- Argo, William Goldenberg, A.C.E.
- Life of Pi, Tim Squyres, A.C.E.
- Lincoln, Michael Kahn, A.C.E.
- Skyfall, Stuart Baird, A.C.E.
- Zero Dark Thirty, Dylan Tichenor, A.C.E. and William Goldenberg, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL):
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Chris Gill
- Les Misérables, Melanie Ann Oliver & Chris Dickens, A.C.E.
- Moonrise Kingdom, Andrew Weisblum, A.C.E.
- Silver Linings Playbook, Jay Cassidy, A.C.E. & Crispin Struthers
- Ted, Jeff Freeman, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
- Brave, Nicolas C. Smith, A.C.E.
- Frankenweenie, ?Chris Lebenzon, A.C.E. & Mark Solomon
- Rise of the Guardians, ?Joyce Arrastia
- Wreck-It Ralph, Tim Mertens
BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE):?
- Samsara, Ron Fricke & Mark Magidson
- Searching for Sugar Man, ?Malik Bendjelloul
- West of Memphis, Billy McMillin
BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (TELEVISION):
- American Masters – Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune, Pamela Scott Arnold
- The Dust Bowl – Episode 1: The Great Plow Up, ?Craig Mellish
- The Weight of the Nation: Episode 1: Consequences, Paula Heredia
BEST EDITED HALF-HOUR SERIES FOR TELEVISION:
- Girls: “Pilot”, Robert Frazen, A.C.E. & Catherine Haight
- Modern Family: “Mystery Date” Ryan Case
- Nurse Jackie: “Handle Your Scandal” Gary Levy
BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES FOR COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
- Breaking Bad: “Dead Freight” Skip Macdonald A.C.E.
- Breaking Bad: “Gliding Over All” Kelley Dixon, A.C.E.
- Mad Men: “The Other Woman” Tom Wilson
- Nashville: “Pilot” Keith Henderson
- Smash: “Pilot” Andrew Weisblum, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED ONE-HOUR SERIES FOR NON-COMMERCIAL TELEVISION:
- Homeland: “The Choice” Terry Kelley, A.C.E.
- Homeland: “State of Independence” Jordan Goldman
- The Newsroom: “We Just Decided To (Pilot)” Anne McCabe, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE FOR TELEVISION:
- Game Change Lucia Zucchetti, A.C.E.
- Hatfields & McCoys, Part 1? Don Cassidy
- Hemingway & Gellhorn Walter Murch, A.C.E.
BEST EDITED NON-SCRIPTED SERIES:
- Beyond Scared Straight : “ Oklahoma County, OK – The Weight” Rob Goubeaux, A.C.E., Mark Andrew, A.C.E., Paul J. Coyne, A.C.E., Mark Baum, Jeremy Gantz, Johnny Skaare, J.C. Solis & Ken Yankee
- Frozen Planet: “Ends of the Earth” Andy Netley & Sharon Gillooly
- Deadliest Catch: “I Don’t Want to Die” Josh Earl, A.C.E. & Alex Durham
Final Ballots will be mailed on January 23 and voting ends on February 8. The Blue Ribbon panels where judging for all television categories and the documentary film category take place January 27. Projects in the aforementioned categories are viewed and judged by panels comprised of professional editors (all ACE members). All 700+ ACE members vote during the final balloting of the ACE Eddies, including active members, life members, affiliate members and honorary members.
The ACE Eddie Awards is considered an integral precursor to the Oscars®. No film has won Best Picture at the Oscars® without also having received at least a Best Editing nomination since ORDINARY PEOPLE in 1981. Since the ACE membership boasts a very high crossover within its membership of Academy® members, it represents a very accurate bellwether for the eventual Oscar® outcome.
Filed under: Awards